November 3, 2021 to November 4, 2021
8:30 am to 4:00 pm
Canadian Mental Health Association
1152 3rd Ave
Prince George, British Columbia
ASIST is a two-day interactive workshop in suicide first aid. ASIST teaches participants to recognize when someone may have thoughts of suicide and work with them to create a plan that will support their immediate safety. Although ASIST is widely used by healthcare providers, participants don’t need any formal training to attend the workshop—anyone 16 or older can learn and use the ASIST model.
ASIST participants learn to:
- Understand the ways personal and societal attitudes affect views on suicide and interventions
- Provide guidance and suicide first-aid to a person at risk in ways that meet their individual safety needs
- Identify the key elements of an effective suicide safety plan and the actions required to implement it
- Appreciate the value of improving and integrating suicide prevention resources in the community at large
- Recognize other important aspects of suicide prevention including life-promotion and self-care
Training will be from 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM with a 30 minute lunch break.
Due to COVID-19, workshops will be set up to allow for physical distancing. We will ensure the following provisions will be available for our workshop:
- hand sanitizer available for use.
- additional cleaning of room and tables prior to each day of training
All participants will continue to follow the normal precautions to minimize the spread of infectious disease, including washing your hands thoroughly and regularly, sneezing or coughing into your elbow rather than your hand, and disinfecting surfaces that are frequently touched. Participants who do not will be asked to leave. We encourage anyone that is feeling ill to not attend the workshop. The facilitator will have the right to refuse entry to the workshop if a person is displaying any cold/flu symptoms. Masks are required as per the current Public Health Orders.
Any cancellations due to provincial health orders or COVID concern will be fully transferable to another course or refunded in full.